Monday, September 21, 1998

Ask Uncle Tusk: September 21, 1998

Dear Uncle Tuskie,

I have one little teeny-weeny question that shouldn't be any problem for your great, perhaps collective mind, regarding Blast Corps. My question, oh great one, is that of saving. Saved-game-management is easy and all when you have a memory pak, but how do you erase the game that "sticks" to the cart? (i.e. when it saves although you didn't use any mem-pak.)
/Svett

Uncle Tusk replies:
Just hold down Start while you turn your N64 on, you dunce. And what do you mean by "collective mind"? Are you calling me schizophrenic? Not true. Just a bit excitable, that's all.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

I don't know if this is just with the Australian version of Banjo-Kazooie but on page 9 of my manual it says the pause menu options are:

Return to game

Exit to witch's lair

View totals

Save and quit
I don't know what happened but on my Australian copy it goes more like this:

Return to game

View totals

Save and quit

What happened to Exit to witch's lair? But Banjo-Kazooie is an awesome game, I look foward to purchasing Banjo-Tooie.
Travis Wood

Uncle Tusk replies:
That's what happens when the manual gets written months before the game's finished. New bits keep getting added while other bits get taken out. Originally Banjo and Kazooie only had to go to the pause menu and choose Exit To Witch's Lair to get out of a level at any time, but then we decided that making them trog all the way back to the start pad was much more fun. Har.



Hey Tusk!

I have Diddy Kong Racing and I have already beaten it to the max, hidden characters and all. But, when I used the jukebox code I noticed a song, #12, that isn't in any of the tracks. Is this a part of the overworld or something I haven't found yet? Please help me before I go nuts!!!
Frank Scafidi

Uncle Tusk replies:
You see that Pirate Lagoon? You hear that hidden music track? Well, the two used to go together, until for some reason or another the Lagoon found itself a new tune and the old one was consigned to 'hidden extra' status. So no, you haven't missed any secret areas. Probably.




Uncle Tusk -

I need help! I've got Donkey Kong Land 3 as a Christmas present last year, and the box clearly states that one of the animals is called Parry. I've searched everywhere..over and over again..but I can't find Parry! Where is he? Where? Must.. find... Parry..
John

Uncle Tusk replies:
Due to what were stressed as 'creative differences', Parry left the DK Animal Sidekicks to pursue a solo career between the making of Donkey Kong Country 3 and Donkey Kong Land 3, by which time it was too late to change the sleeve credits. His first solo game,
Parry On Up The Khyber, flopped dismally earlier this year and his contract was terminated. Now an alcoholic, Parry has lost the power of flight and lives in a box under DK's favourite tree, shouting slurred abuse throughout the early hours of the morning.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

If you don't mind my saying so, why is it that you only get around to answering anybody's questions once a month? Doesn't your letter stack bet big? What do you do all month when you're not answering letters written by us lowly drudges? Do you crochet mittens for when your hands get cold?

Don't kill me,
David Marsee

Uncle Tusk replies:
I don't answer the mail any more often because I'm a busy man - married or not, a barbarian's still expected to go out hacking and maiming on a regular basis if he's to retain any credibility. This whole agony uncle business is just a little sideline of mine. Anyway, most of the letters sent my way are too moronic to be worth answering.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

Are you married? Do you have children or did you eat them or something?

Anyway... here's the Question... GoldenEye OO7... Cuba, Jungle... I swear that I saw Jaws there, When I was shooting all these guys, Natalya said "Who was that guy?" then I turned around and I saw a back of a guy wearing brown suspenders run away, I tried to follow him but he was to darn fast! Is that really him, or am I going crazy with GoldenEye Fever?

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya,
Graig Polacco

Uncle Tusk replies:
More likely your eyes are starting to fail with all that 'nocturnal activity' of yours. There are no suspender-wearing perverts lurking in the Jungle, least of all Jaws. "Who was that guy?" is just one of the endearing one-liners Natalya keeps on standby for when she's just shot someone.

Of course I'm married - pay attention, you spiv. In fact, my brood of hyperactive muscle-headed children are all set to dominate the cast list of
Killer Instinct 7 in a few years' time. Honest.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

Congratulations on a truly superb game! My fiance and I are trying to complete BK, and we have come across an impasse: we could only find 97 notes in Click Clock Wood. We've searched high and low on the Net and not many strategies seem to cover notes. There must be 3 notes hidden somewhere in CCW, but where? We've even run circles in the tall grass in Summer looking for them. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you again for such a remarkable game.
Eric Shamash & Victoria
Uncle Tusk replies:
According to the Rare testers, some three-note hotspots are a) the walkways leading out from the tree just above ground level, and b) the bear-eating plants in Autumn (which you'll need gold feathers to safely reach). If you've already been there and done both of those, you're obviously just a pair of gibbons who need a good kicking.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

I really really love Goldeneye for N64 but I just cannot beat the Control Room on 00 Agent no matter what I do. I have literally played it over 200 times (I am seriously not joking) and I cannot beat it. I have beaten all the other levels (besides the one you need to beat all the 00 Agent levels to get) on 00 Agent and they were all easy, even the Aztec temple. Am I going about the level all wrong? Please help me out here.
Khardan - The Prophet of the Rose
Uncle Tusk replies:
According to the designer, there shouldn't be any specific change in the way you run through the level for 00 Agent: before releasing Natalya, take out all the mainframes you can reach (without breaking any of the glass walls, if possible), and also get rid of all the desks except the one Natalya will be using. Once the alarm has been sounded, your best bet is to stand against the wall, facing the screen and Natalya's back, and swing left and right to take out the guards as they flood in. On top of that, perhaps it would benefit you to be less crap.




Tusk,

Where the heck did Bottles learn those moves? And if he knows them, why doesn't he do them himself? He's no Jackie Chan, so why would some ninja master bother teaching him them? Or perhaps the Great Tusk taught him them? Or maybe he's just Yoda dressed in a mole suit? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Ha ha ha! Have I backed you into a corner? I'd like to see the stupid answer you come up for this one!
Pedair

Uncle Tusk replies:
He can't do them himself because he's a comedy shortarse, and he probably just read them in the manual anyway. There now - an eminently sensible observation if ever I saw one.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

In the DKC player's guide, under Mine Cart Carnage, although it does confirm that there are no bonus areas, it also says something like "There is also a deep, dark secret hidden in this level, and only the most intrepid explorers will find it." After many headaches I discovered the warp near the beginning of the level; however, there are warps in other levels, too, so why should Mine Cart Carnage have been singled out by the player's guide? I did notice that at some points, if you hit the dangerous boxes and die and your cart falls, you can hear the cart hitting another track, but I haven't been able to get down there without dying. It's been nearly four years - PLEASE, MY DEAR UNCLE TUSK, PUT MY MIND AT EASE!
M. Stephens

Uncle Tusk replies:
DKC's designer claims to have no idea what you're on about, so unless he's still fiercely protecting some hideous secret after all this time or he's simply got a crap memory, you can probably put it down to a strategy guide writer with an overactive imagination. Worry about something worthwhile, man.




Uncle Tusk Sir...?

Maybe it was a blinky Pikachu-induced hallucination, but I heard something about a Killer Instinct TV show, maybe something similiar to the oh-so-cool Donkey Kong TV show (hey, there was a bit about that on the discovery channel!). Is it true? Huh?
Code-Guy Ty

Uncle Tusk replies:
No. Basically. Or at least we've heard nothing, so somebody's in trouble if it is.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

Either I'm stuck or Blast Corps has an error, I cannot get 100% on the buildings in Havoc District, can only get 95% and I'm 99% sure I got everything...

4 lights on top of the bridge

1 ball under the bridge

Crates near bridge

5 balls out in the water

Light house

Main buildings on land

One red statue next to main building

What else is there? I've searched the entire map many times...searched the web for hints and still don't see anything I've missed?? Only objects left I see are the boat, truck, glass/invisible building in the water, trees and I can't damage them...
HK

Uncle Tusk replies:
The designer says he wishes he'd thought of putting in loads of invisible buildings, but he didn't, so that's not it. The trees and the Blast Corps truck can't be destroyed either, so what does that leave? A load of unused missiles, probably. Go blow some holes in the ship, idiot child.




Tusk you big slab of beef, you,

What's with the grates in the floor on your stage, is it drainage for your extra chunky poo?

Who do you prefer, Kim Wu (with her magical pantie flashing properties), Maya (with her amusingly shaped funbags), Orchid (with her funky bumcakes), or, Gargos if you're that way inclined?

BLLLEEEET.

On a more serious note, Perfect Dark and Jet Force Gemini look pretty darn tootin'.

Keep up the gravy work.
Hex, Sax & Metz.
P.S. Is Kazooie doing anything this Friday? CHHHEEEEP BABY!

Uncle Tusk replies:
The grates are vital to my hidden third finishing move which you've obviously failed to find, the only amusing thing about Maya's 'funbags' is that you'll never get anywhere near them, and I'm afraid Kazooie's coming round to our place for a sophisticated cocktail party (without that ridiculous bear friend of hers) this Friday. Bad luck.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

I was just playing Banjo-Kazooie (the best game ever), and I was wondering if I would be a washing machine at the ending if I beat Gruntilda as a washing machine. So, I got the code from Bottles, turned myself into a washing machine, and went on up to fight Gruntilda. Only thing is, when I stepped on the pad to go to Grunty's Furnace Fun, I turned back into Banjo. Is this a glitch? Why can't I fight her as a washing machine? Please answer my cry for help. Thank you for your time.
brainboy2

Uncle Tusk replies:
You can't fight Gruntilda as a washing machine because, frankly, that would be stupid. Anyway, she's probably set up some counterspell to prevent Mumbo's magic being carried that far into her Lair, or something. Either that or the game would have blown up if we'd left it in.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

Has GoldenEye sold more than 3 million units yet? Are you going to make a special appearance in Perfect Dark? I'd take a four-foot sword and fireballs over a gun any day! Unless of course I was John Woo or Chow Yun Fat. Will they be in Perfect Dark? They're even cooler than you are! Err..don't feel bad. At least you have Maya...
Jeremy Townsend

Uncle Tusk replies:
GoldenEye has shipped around 4 and a half million last we heard, so unless some fruitcake somewhere is holding several warehouses full of cartridges to ransom, it probably has sold over 3 million, yes. I can't even audition for PD because Maya doesn't let me anywhere near other women. And while you may think Tusk's a stupid name, it's not a patch on Mr. Fat.




Dear Tusk, (Eww I just called a barbarian "dear")

Ach! Du hast deine schone hosen mit schokolade geschmutzt! (Translation: Hey! You have dirtied your nice pants with chocolate!) And now for a few questions.

1. In Banjo-Kazooie where do the snowman get their snowballs from?

2. Where are Banjo's nostrils, his nose just has two small imploded holes?

3. Whose is your nefew?

4. What color is my hair?

Thank you.
Andy Buntua

Uncle Tusk replies:
You see what I have to put up with? Honestly.

1. Is this a really poor joke?

2. Kazooie looks after them for him when he's not using them.

3. Funnily enough, he's mine.

4. Arterial red, in the near future. Heh.




Dear Uncle Tusk,

I have tried to beat the Train stage on 00 Agent numerous times, but it seems to me that it is almost impossible to crack Boris's password, and with only 5 seconds left, get out of the train without Natalya getting blown up by the explosion. May I have a little insight on this? Possibly a hint or tip?
Ashley Renner

Uncle Tusk replies:
Ah yes, the Train. Natalya in Dunce Mode yet again. To give her the extra time she needs on 00 Agent, you'll need to stall Trevelyan's escape by landing a hit or two on Xenia before the shutter comes down. Otherwise you'll fry. Women, eh? What can you do? (Sound of knives being sharpened in background.)


No comments: